Wednesday, January 9, 2008

America's Cup

I made a promise to myself to get rest and take care of my body before my upcoming races and travels, but it hasn't panned out. I have been running on very little sleep while trying to juggle things as well as I can. Setbacks are always lurking. My car started to overheat last week and has been in the shop, sitting since they told me that it would be almost $1000 to fix. My plan is to defer tackling that until I return, inconvenient as it is. I have spent late nights getting my gear squared away, still working out runners.

Yesterday during the first day of America’s Cup training, I was one of a few US sliders who forgot their FIBT license and will be fined $20. Should have known better, but I have been so scattered lately I am not surprised that I forgot.

I had the fastest training run for the US by just a bit, although I am still off from where I want to be. I also know that many sliders hold back during training, and this portends to be a very competitive race. My first run felt great – the best run I have had in a long time. Not the fastest, but track conditions went from mediocre to poor due to a bit of snow.

It was good to see people I have met throughout the season again, as well as seeing the US sliders here for the overlapping Intercontinental Cup race. There were even a few faces from way back. Yesterday was the best coaching we have had for a race in some time due to the help of the IC sliders and a visiting Chris Hedquist. It’s nice to have a home court.

After the race we watched some video of our runs and I received a long rumored team speed suit. I was pleasantly surprised that it was accompanied by some other Speedo goods. It will be great to look like I actually race for a nation for the five remaining race days of my season.
Training started early and went late because of the size of the field. I am concerned that those of us going to Munich after the race will be severely pressed for time getting to the airport.

No comments: