Monday, November 12, 2007

Auspicious Beginning


Last weekend marked the end of national team trials for skeleton. I ended up ranked tenth in the nation, which was better than I expected at the outset of the season. I will be competing on the Europa Cup (EC) circuit in Cesana, Italy, St Moritz, Switzerland, & Winterberg, Germany. I will also do an America's Cup (AC) race in Park City. I am beyond excited about the trajectory for the season, and am especially excited to slide in St. Moritz. It is the the cradle of the sport, and home to the only natural track in the world. The EC team is comprised of two men, the other being John Daly. He has slid a number of tracks in Europe already. The biggest hurdles I face at this stage are pulling funds together and getting time off from work. My employer, Navitaire (an Accenture company), has been amazing thus far, and has really backed my pursuit. On the money side, it has been flowing out of my account ever since team trials began this October in Lake Placid. It required two trips and three weeks of the month because of a flawed trials criteria. That is another story. The cash outflow has just begun. I am flying into Italy next month and then into Switzerland in January. I will spend a hair over three weeks in Europe to do all of the races. Unlike the World Cup and Intercontinental Cup teams, Europa Cup receives no funding at all from the USBSF. Regardless, things are shaping up great so far this season!
(Photo Credit: Steve Peters)

No comments: